Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Junction
County seat of Kimble County. Townsite platted 1876 (year of county organization) as "Denman" Soon had named changed by voters to denote site at confluence of North and South Llano Rivers. Growth was steady. By 1882 had 300 people, a courthouse, jail, school, 2 churches, 2 stores.
In 1927, town was incorporated; water system bought, 1928; sewer system built, 1929; municipal hall and fire station erected 1939-40; swimming pool installed 1955.
Eight mayors, 63 alderman, 5 city secretaries, and others have held offices. After annexations, by 1970 population reached 2654.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 611.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 30° 29.314′ N, 99° 45.905′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of North 5th Street and College Street, on the right when traveling north on North 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 North 5th Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers First Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Russell Keith Fleming (within shouting distance of this marker); Private First Class Whitt L. Moreland (within shouting distance of this marker); Kimble County (within shouting distance of this marker); Burt M. Fleming (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fight of Sheriff’s Posse with Cattle Rustlers (about 300 feet away); O.C. Fisher (about 400 feet away); Kimble County Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Also see . . . Junction, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.