Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Post Office
Across the street, south, was the first building erected to house the Junction post office.
Junction's first postmaster, Mrs. Harriet Kountz, appointed 1876, at first kept the mail in her home. In 1879, her husband Dr. Ezekiel Kountz, built a post office, drugstore, and general mercantile house on the square. Lumber was hauled from Austin.
Mrs. Kountz moved the office here and served until 1881.
Dr. Kountz, first County Clerk of Kimble County office, used store as county office until courthouse was built nearby.
Old store was dismantled 1911.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1533.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
Location. 30° 29.308′ N, 99° 45.934′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of North 5th Street and College Street, on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Junction (within shouting distance of this marker); Kimble County (within shouting distance of this marker); O.C. Fisher (within shouting distance of this marker); Kimble County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Early History of Kimble County (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); Fight of Sheriff’s Posse with Cattle Rustlers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burt M. Fleming Memorial (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.