Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Port Reading
The community of Port Reading took shape in 1892 when the Reading Railroad extended its line to docks on the Arthur Kill, where coal arriving by train from Pennsylvania was sent off to New York and New England by barge. Many of the workers attracted by the railroad and shipping jobs were from the small southern Italian village of Pietrastornina.
To serve the needs of the expanding immigrant population, St. Anthony of Padua Parish was established in 1906 and a church built in 1914. Father Stanislaus Milos became the first resident pastor in 1943; during his 32-year pastorate, he established a parochial school, the first library in Port Reading and a parish Fife and Drum Corps. Today, a growing Sikh population worships at Gurdawara Dashmesh Darbar Sahib on Port Reading Avenue.
A majestic remnant of the Woodbridge coal industry is the McMyler Coal Dumper located off Middlesex Avenue near the Carteret border. Built in 1917, this enormous device was used to turn railroad cars upside down and dump coal into waiting barges. The apparatus was seriously damage by fire in 1951, then repaired and used until 1982.
Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission
Mayor John E. McCormac Woodbridge Township 2013
Erected 2013 by Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 40° 33.324′ N, 74° 17.414′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of S Park Drive and Iris Place, on the left when traveling east on S Park Drive. The marker is in the Marion and Norman Tanzman Recreational Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Star Eagle Section (within shouting distance of this marker); Cooper’s Dairy Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Henrik Kurt Carlsen (within shouting distance of this marker); The Woman’s Club of Fords (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bloomfield House c. 1750 (about 300 feet away); Dr. Fred Albee & U.S. General Hospital No. 3 (about 400 feet away); Henry Inman (about 400 feet away); Colonia Triangle & Colonia Library (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 27, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.