Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Woman’s Club of Fords

 
 
The Woman’s Club of Fords Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, October 20, 2018
1. The Woman’s Club of Fords Marker
Inscription.  
In October 1920, ten women met at the home of Mrs. Annie Hope Liddle for the purpose of organizing a Fords branch of the Woodbridge Woman’s Club.

They were assisted in their efforts by WWC president Mrs. E.H. Boynton. The object of the Fords club was to be, and still is, “to provide as organization through which women from all walks of life, putting aside personal prejudice, may work towards community betterment.” Mrs. T.W. Liddle became the club’s first president. In 1924 the Woman’s Club of Fords was accepted into the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs as an independent club.

During its early years, before public relief was instituted, the main activity of the Club was helping the poor. Projects included distribution of food and clothing, payment of rent and doctor bills and creation of a milk fund for indigent families. The club women also made and served hot coffee and sandwiches to firemen during large fires.

The Club’s major achievement was the 1924 creation of a community library for Fords residents, equipped with 400 books and $25 worth of supplies. In 1925, the Club purchased property
The Woman’s Club of Fords Marker site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, October 20, 2018
2. The Woman’s Club of Fords Marker site
The marker is on this stretch of S Park Drive.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on Corielle Street for $1,700; this became the library site until the current Fords branch at 211 Ford Avenue was opened by the Township in 1972.

More information visit www.wthpc.org
Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission
Mayor John E. McCormac Woodbridge Township 2013
 
Erected 2013 by Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWomen. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1920.
 
Location. 40° 33.314′ N, 74° 17.354′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on S Park Drive, on the left when traveling east. The marker is in the Marion and Norman Tanzman Recreational Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Inman (within shouting distance of this marker); Star Eagle Section (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Port Reading (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Embassy Theatre (about 300 feet away); St. John's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away); Isaac Inslee Estates (about 400 feet away); Cooper’s Dairy Farm (about 400 feet away); Captain Henrik Kurt Carlsen (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
 
Additional commentary.
Inset image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, October 20, 2018
3. Inset

1. Woman's Club as the home of the Fords Library
My recollection is that the Library moved out of the Woman's Club to the former Post Office on Amboy Avenue for a few years before moving to the Ford Ave location in the early 70s. FYI.
    — Submitted February 23, 2019, by Annie Scibienski of Ghent, New York.
 
Inset image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, October 20, 2018
4. Inset
Inset image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, October 20, 2018
5. Inset
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 27, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=126836

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 29, 2022