Worthington in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
James Kilbourne / Worthington Hotel
1770 - 1850
Founder of Worthington, 1803
Surveyor, Deacon, Innkeeper,
Publisher, Mayor, Legislator,
Educator and Explorer.
Married Lucy Fitch, then
Cynthia Goodale Barnes.
Fathered twelve children.
“Admired by all...with a
genial smile and a courtly
bow for everyone he met.”
Sign of the Sun
“To friends both old and new, accommodations are tendered as good as the best; should anyone doubt this, he is respectfully requested to come and see.”
James Kilbourne, Proprietor
Dec 1, 1845
Erected by Worthington Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1862.
Location. 40° 5.268′ N, 83° 1.096′ W. Marker is in Worthington, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on High Street, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 679 High Street, Columbus OH 43085, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Worthington Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent / Church and Graveyard (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Worthington Masonic Museum (about 500 feet away); The Bicentennial Oak (about 600 feet away); Eclectic Medical College (about 600 feet away); The Founding of Worthington / Worthington, A Planned Community (about 700 feet away); Orange Johnson House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Worthington.
Also see . . . More information on James Kilbourne. (Submitted on October 20, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
1. Kilbourne Commercial Building
The 1808 Kilbourne Commercial Building is located at 679-681 High Street, Worthington, Ohio. Constructed ca. 1808 south of James Kilbourne's 1804 brick home, it is believed to be the oldest commercial building in Ohio in continuous commercial use. The building housed Kilbourne's survey office, offices of the Western Intelligencer
— Submitted October 20, 2008.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,035 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4, 5. submitted on October 20, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.