Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Intersection of North Pearl and Franklin streets
This large building with grand columns and extensive porches (behind you) began life about 1840 as a simple, brick cottage. In 1902-1903, the Elks Lodge enlarged and remodeled the building and added a swimming pool. In 1932, the Natchez Garden Club used the Elks Lodge as their headquarters for the first Spring Pilgrimage house tours. In the 1980s, the building became an inn, and the pool was converted to a landscaped courtyard.
Members of the local Jewish community built the Standard Club (no longer standing) as a social club about 1890. Cotton merchants Geisenberger and Friedler rented offices in the first story, while the second story contained a large ballroom. It was a popular spot for social activities before construction of the grander Prentiss club in 1904.
Erected by City of Natchez, Mississippi.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi - Natchez Trails series list.
Location. 31° 33.663′ N, 91° 24.14′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street and North Pearl Street, on the left when traveling east on Franklin Street. Marker is located along the sidewalk, at the northeast corner of the intersection, beside the "Guest House" (formerly the Elks Lodge and the Natchez Garden Club). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Pearl Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Natchez Hotel (within shouting distance of this Intersection of Jefferson and North Pearl streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bud Scott (about 400 feet away); Andrew Marschalk (about 400 feet away); Intersection of Main and North Pearl streets (about 400 feet away); Site of Bank of Mississippi (about 500 feet away); Site of Cokesbury Chapel (about 500 feet away); "The Natchez Burning" (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
More about this marker. Marker is a large, rectangular composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high metal posts.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.