Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Rotan in Fisher County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hobbs Independent School District

 
 
Hobbs Independent School District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, December 4, 2018
1. Hobbs Independent School District Marker
Inscription.  The first school in what would become the Hobbs community was known as Buffalo and taught in a tent on Buffalo Creek from 1887 to 1888. The Rev. Robert Martin erected a church and schoolhouse on the site with funds from his home church in Louisiana. By 1896 the school was named for Vachel Hobbs Anderson, postmaster at Roby, and had changed locations several times.

J. W. Hale became county school superintendent in 1922. His efforts contributed to the voters' decision to consolidate the Hobbs, Dallas, Grady and Baird common school districts in 1924. The new district, known as Hobbs Consolidated Common School District No. 18, united the four districts. The new eleven-grade Hobbs school facility opened in 1925. With additions and annexations in ensuing years, Hobbs grew from 85 square miles to 240, combining many schools: Guinn, Sardis, Lone Star, Buffalo, Claytonville, Camp Springs, County Line, Capitola, Sam Bone, Busby, Barronview, Plainview, Cottonwood, Bush, Lone Valley, Midway, Gannoway, Rico, Rough Creek, Chicken Foot, Linn, Pyron and others.

In the 1930s the Works Progress Administration added the primary, home economics
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and vocational agricultural buildings to the campus, and grade twelve was added to the course of studies. After World War II the rural population decreased as people migrated to cities. High school enrollment was 380 in the 1940s. A new building was constructed in 1956, a cafeteria in 1969 and a new vocational agricultural building in 1976. The high school was closed in 1980 and, when elementary school enrollment dropped to 13 in the fall of 1989, Hobbs Independent School District was dissolved and annexed to the Roby, Rotan and Snyder districts.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11683.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 32° 46.813′ N, 100° 35.692′ W. Marker is near Rotan, Texas, in Fisher County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1614, 0.2 miles west of Farm to Market Road 611, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1317 FM 1614, Rotan TX 79546, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hobbs Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Greene Springs and Site of Archeological Discoveries (approx. 7 miles away); Former Townsite of Wheat (approx. 11.9 miles
Hobbs Independent School District Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, December 4, 2018
2. Hobbs Independent School District Marker Area
away); Pyron, Texas (approx. 13.3 miles away); St. John's Catholic Church (approx. 14 miles away); Hermleigh (approx. 14 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=127426

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024