Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fillmore in Millard County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Utah’s First Capitol

 
 
Utah's First Capitol Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
1. Utah's First Capitol Marker
Inscription.  Creating Fillmore City and Millard County the Territorial Legislature of Utah selected Pahvant Valley, as Capitol site October 29, 1851. This spot was selected by Governor Brigham Young. Construction work began in 1852. Truman O. Angell, architect and Anson Call, supervisor. This south wing was used by the fifth Territorial Legislature October 10, 1855. In 1856 the seat of Government was moved to Salt Lake City. Later used as Court House and County Headquarters. Restored in 1928 and dedicated as State Museum July 24, 1930.
 
Erected 1935 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 7.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 24, 1889.
 
Location. 38° 58.054′ N, 112° 19.503′ W. Marker is in Fillmore, Utah, in Millard County. Marker can be reached from West Capitol Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 W Capitol Ave, Fillmore UT 84631, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this
Utah's First Capital image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
2. Utah's First Capital
Why Fillmore? On September 8, 1851 Governor Brigham Young placed his cane on the North East corner of this block and designated this geographically centered location at Utah's capital. The large open space, water and building materials were favorable for settlement. In a political move the Governor names the town Fillmore and the county Millard after President Millard Fillmore.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker. Land of the Yuta (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Rock Schoolhouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fillmore Pioneer Fort (about 600 feet away); Edward Partridge, Jr. House (approx. ¼ mile away); Capitol (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fillmore.
 
Built with Pride image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
3. Built with Pride
The stoneworkers who constructed the Statehouse initialed the building with pride. Though they expected their initials to be covered with stucco they took the time and effort to leave their marks on the building. A quick search will show many initials.
Front side of Capitol building. image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
4. Front side of Capitol building.
West side of Capitol building. image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
5. West side of Capitol building.
The initials J.P.C. can be seen in the center of this photo. image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
6. The initials J.P.C. can be seen in the center of this photo.
Utah's First Capitol Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
7. Utah's First Capitol Marker
Utah Historic Site marker on the capital building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,767 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1277

Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2021