Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Opelousas in St. Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

19th Century Outhouse, c.1890

 
 
19th Century Outhouse, c.1890 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cajun Scrambler, December 21, 2018
1. 19th Century Outhouse, c.1890 Marker
Inscription.  
Originally located in the community of Prairie Rhonde, next to the Emar Andrepont home, this 19th century cabinette was donated by the family of Dewey Ledoux and moved to the village in 1992.

While outhouses typically featured two seats, one for adults and one for children, this outhouse features an uncommon three seat design. Often times, crescent moon and star cutouts were used on the door of outhouses which goes back to Colonial times. In a time when few people could read, the crescent moon was the symbol for women while the star cutout was for men. The cutout also let light into the outhouse as there were usually no windows. For rural families, newspaper or pages from old catalogs were used for toilet paper.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1992.
 
Location. 30° 31.908′ N, 92° 4.461′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in St. Landry Parish. Marker can be reached from East Landry Street (U.S. 190) east of South Academy Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
at or near this postal address: 828 East Landry Street, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sugar Kettle, c. 1800 (here, next to this marker); La Chapelle House (a few steps from this marker); Doctor's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Venus House (within shouting distance of this marker); Rosa B. Scott (Anderson) (within shouting distance of this marker); J.S. Clark High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Pacific Freight Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Preston "Sweet" Fontenot (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
 
More about this marker. The City of Opelousas Tourist Information is located on the grounds of Le Vieux Village Historical Park & Heritage Museum at the eastern entrance of Opelousas along U.S. Highway 190.
 
19th Century Outhouse, c.1890 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cajun Scrambler, December 21, 2018
2. 19th Century Outhouse, c.1890 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2024. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2018.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=127819

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024