White Sulphur Springs in Meagher County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
The discovery of gold, silver, lead and copper in this area brought about the establishment of Camp Baker in 1869 to protect settlers from Indian raids.
Named Fort Logan in 1877, the post was abandoned in 1880. The block house which remains standing was given to the Meagher County Historical Society by Mrs. Sidney Berg.
-20 miles west-
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 46° 32.806′ N, 110° 54.379′ W. Marker is in White Sulphur Springs, Montana, in Meagher County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 89 and Chilton Street, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 89. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Sulphur Springs MT 59645, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Smith River Valley (approx. 7.7 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Logan Montana (1869-1880)
Also see . . .
1. Fort Logan, Blockhouse, White Sulphur Springs, Meagher County, MT. The Historic American Buildings Survey record for the Fort Logan Blockhouse. (Submitted on August 22, 2015.)
2. Fort Logan (1869-1880).
Established as Camp Baker 30 Nov 1869 and named for Maj. Eugene M. Baker 2nd U.S. Cavalry. Designated Fort Logan 30 Dec 1878 and named after Capt. William Logan, 7th U.S. Infantry, who was killed in the Battle of Big Hole 9 Aug 1877. (Submitted on August 22, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
1. Fort Logan Blockhouse DAR marker
Oro Fino Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution installed a marker: "Original Block House. Part of Camp Baker established 1869. Post moved to present site 1870. Name changed to Fort Logan 1878 in honor of Captain William Logan killed by the Nez Perces Indians in the Battle of the Big Hole August 9, 1877. Garrisoned as a military post 1869-1879. Abandoned by Government 1880. Restored and dedicated to posterity by Oro Fino Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, Helena Montana August 17, 1924"
— Submitted April 16, 2020, by Cheryl Genovese of Bozeman, Montana.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on December 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3. submitted on April 16, 2020. 4. submitted on August 22, 2015. 5. submitted on August 22, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.