Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Carrollton in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First “REA” Substation in Carroll County

 
 
First "REA" Substation in Carroll County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 15, 2008
1. First "REA" Substation in Carroll County Marker
Inscription.  In 1936, a young attorney from the Victory community began investigating the possibility of bringing electric service to rural farms and homes in the West Georgia area. Together with rural merchants, farmers, a preacher and a mail carrier, they formed the Carroll Rural Electric Association. The association used a loan from the Rural Electrification Administration to construct 117 miles of line to serve 344 residents of Carroll and Heard Counties. On July 31, 1937, the "Carrollton" substation was energized here to provide electricity to the communities of Victory, Tyus, Stoney Point, Burwell, Star Point, Bowdon Junction, Center Point, Hickory Level and others. This marked the humble beginning of Carroll Electric Membership Corporation.
 
Erected 1987 by Carroll Electric Membership Corporation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureChurches & ReligionCommunicationsIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 33° 33.865′ N, 85° 6.464′ W. Marker
First "REA" Substation in Carroll County Marker and Substation image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 15, 2008
2. First "REA" Substation in Carroll County Marker and Substation
is in Carrollton, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is on Maple Street (Georgia Route 166) 0 miles east of W. Lake Drive, on the right when traveling west. Marker is at the power substation. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carrollton GA 30116, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carrollton (approx. 2.2 miles away); Dixie Street (approx. 2.3 miles away); Six Industrial Giants (approx. 2.3 miles away); Charles Carroll of Carrollton (approx. 2.3 miles away); Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks (approx. 8˝ miles away); Sacred Harp Singing (approx. 8.6 miles away); Whatley Memorial Historic Park (approx. 9 miles away); Site of Bowdon College (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carrollton.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry for Rural Electrification Act. Excerpt:
In the 1930s, the provision of power to remote areas was not thought to be economically feasible. A 2300 volt distribution system was then used in cities. This relatively low voltage could be carried only about 4 miles before the voltage drop became unacceptable.

REA cooperatives used a 7200 volt distribution network, which could support much longer runs (up to about 40 miles). Despite requiring more expensive transformers at each home, the overall system cost was manageable

REA crews traveled through the American countryside, bringing teams of electricians along with them. The
REA Poster image. Click for full size.
3. REA Poster
electricians added wiring to houses and barns to utilize the newly available power provided by the line crews.
(Submitted on July 25, 2020.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,158 times since then and 48 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week July 26, 2020. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on July 25, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 12, 2020