Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Assumption of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church

 
 
Assumption of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 29, 2018
1. Assumption of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church Marker
Inscription.  On Nov. 23 1929, a group of Greek residents in San Angelo made the first attempt to organize the Greek community in the area by creating the "Hellenic Educational Society 'The Platon'" or "Platon Society." This society was intended to establish a school to teach the Greek language and to promote religious studies. In the early decades, there was no distinction between the Platon Society and the church as the former controlled the latter. The society incorporated Jul. 6, 1931, while the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary San Angelo incorporated on Nov. 28, 1932.

After meeting at a cafe for over a year, the society decided to find a place to hold their services and school, ultimately choosing to rent the Episcopal Church in 1933. On May 9, 1936, a fire consumed the building adjoined to the church, leading the Orthodox congregation to vote to erect their own building. Local architect L. H. Gaskins designed a new structure but one based on the old church. They also bought the fire damaged Episcopal Church and moved it to this location where the present church was built. On Jul. 28, 1937, the society bought two lots at Avenue G
Assumption of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 29, 2018
2. Assumption of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Sam Street (now Montecito and Kenwood) from G. Dorrance for $950. Today this building is still home to the parish although it has added on a parish hall and storeroom and been renovated.

At the time, the church was the largest in West Texas in terms of geographic area served, ministering to San Angelo, Midland, Odessa, Pecos, Lubbock and Amarillo. The church, beginning as the center of a thriving immigrant Greek community, also attracts many non-Greeks drawn by their faith. Although the church's makeup has changed since the 1930s, its life in the community is still going strong, bringing a sense of peace and beauty to the neighborhood.
 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17192.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 9, 1936.
 
Location. 31° 27.037′ N, 100° 26.779′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is at the intersection of Montecito Drive and Kenwood Drive on Montecito Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Montecito Drive, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Homesite of Mrs. Robert Massie (1867-1931) (approx. ¼ mile away); Fairmount Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dr. Herbert A. Wardlaw Home (approx. 0.7 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
away); Daniel Millar (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Ingram (approx. 0.7 miles away); Calvary Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Orient-Santa Fe Passenger Depot (approx. ¾ mile away); Early Public Transportation in San Angelo (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128097

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2021