Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hallettsville in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lavaca County Courthouse

 
 
Lavaca County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, December 31, 2018
1. Lavaca County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  

Fifth structure to serve as seat of justice for Lavaca, created originally as "La Baca", a judicial county, by Congress of Republic of Texas in 1842. Declared unconstitutional along with other judicial counties, it was created anew by First Legislature of State of Texas on April 6, 1846, and organized on July 13, 1846. Earliest courthouse was of logs, and for an interval after that one burned, court was held under a liveoak tree in old town of Petersburg.

This is third courthouse on this site since county seat was moved to Hallettsville, 1852. Richardsonian in style, it is of Mineral Wells brown sandstone and has base and trim of Mills County grey stone. Eugene T. Heiner of Houston, noted for his public buildings, was the architect. Contractors A. T. Lucas and C. H. and J. Stadtler erected the structure in 1897-1899.

Led by members of Hallettsville Schuetzen Verein, Silver Cornet Band, Fire Department, Sons of Hermann, and other orders, county dedicated the building July 4, 1899, with Judge P. H. Green giving the main address.

Courthouse square was selected by Texas Society of Architects in 1970 for
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a restoration study. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3050.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
 
Location. 29° 26.689′ N, 96° 56.568′ W. Marker is in Hallettsville, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is on East 3rd Street west of North La Grange Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 North La Grange Street, Hallettsville TX 77964, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 50th Anniversary of Battle of Galveston (a few steps from this marker); First National Bank of Hallettsville (within shouting distance of this marker); Cole Theatre (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hallettsville (about 400 feet away); Site of the Alma Male and Female Institute (about 600 feet away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Hallettsville (approx. ¼ mile away); First Methodist Church of Hallettsville (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hallettsville.
 
Lavaca County Courthouse South Facade image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, December 31, 2018
2. Lavaca County Courthouse South Facade
Lavaca County Courthouse East Facade image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, December 31, 2018
3. Lavaca County Courthouse East Facade
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 3, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128140

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 22, 2024