Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cost in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Cost School

 
 
Site of Cost School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 31, 2018
1. Site of Cost School Marker
Inscription.  In the 1890s, children of families living in the Cost community, originally known as Oso, attended area schools that were part of the White School District No. 38 and County School District No. 38-1/2 to the east. By 1903, the county built the Cost Community School, although some students attended Oso School about two miles west of Cost.

In 1915, officials created the Cost Common School District No. 22. Trustees R.N. Hester, B.L. Dikes, Otto Luescher, Ernst Schieberle and Samuel Lester hired noted architect Henry T. Phelps to design a new building to house grades one through ten at this site on land given and sold to the district by Schieberle and Dikes. Gonzales resident Fred Meisenhelder won the contract for construction, and the two-story brick schoolhouse opened its doors to 125 students on October 2, 1916. In May 1918, the first students graduated from the school.

During the next several years, the school curriculum expanded from basic subjects to include music, homemaking, manual training (shop) and athletics. The district added a wood-frame lunchroom facility in 1948. The next year, the Cost District was annexed into
Site of Cost School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 31, 2018
2. Site of Cost School Marker
Marker is visible in the background at the left of the photo.
the Gonzales Independent School District, and students began making the transition to Gonzales schools. Cost School closed its doors in May 1959, and the next year a local property owner bought it and used the bricks to construct a home across the road. For many years, community groups continued to use the former lunchroom for meetings, but today the Cost School is only a memory.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13546.)
 
Location. 29° 26.352′ N, 97° 31.321′ W. Marker is near Cost, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is on State Highway 95 Spur north of State Highway 97, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cost TX 78614, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dikes Family Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the First Shot of the Texas Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); First Shot of the Texas Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Here was Fired First Gun for Texas Independence (approx. 0.9 miles away); Sarah Seely De Witt (approx. 5.1 miles away); Green Dewitt Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Santa Anna Mound (approx. 5.2 miles away); Gonzales Cannon (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cost.
 
Categories.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Education
 

More. Search the internet for Site of Cost School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 3, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement