Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Delaware in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
1. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized in 1845, Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church is the oldest congregation of African descent in Delaware, with Reverend Daniel Winslow serving as the first minister. In 1853 the cornerstone of the first church was laid, which was dedicated in 1855. Three former Pastors of Zion became Bishops in the AME Church—James A. Shorter, 1868; John Mifflin Brown, 1868; and Cornelius T. Shaffer, 1900. In 1876 the existing church was razed and carpenter, brick mason, and plaster church members built the present edifice. A fire destroyed the interior on December 19, 1983, and for two years the congregation met in the recreation building of the Londontown Apartments, undercroft of the William Street Methodist Church, and sanctuary of the Victory Seventh Day Adventist Church. On the first Sunday in October 1985, Presiding Elder Virgil Cummins, Pastor Rodney Thomas, and the congregation marched from the Adventist Church back into the restored sanctuary.
 
Erected 2004 by Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-21.)
 
Topics and series.
Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
2. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church and Marker
This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
 
Location. 40° 17.658′ N, 83° 4.309′ W. Marker is in Delaware, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Bernard Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 S Washington St, Delaware OH 43015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edwards Gymnasium / Home of High School Basketball Tournaments (approx. ¼ mile away); Eddy, Kroener, and Riesz Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); University Hall and Gray Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wesley Branch Rickey (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elliott Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cherry, Judge, Luckett Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rutherford B. Hayes (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old City Hall and Opera House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,037 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 3, 2020