Central Presbyterian Church
This congregation, established during the Republic of Texas period, was organized as the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church on November 4, 1844, by the Rev. Samuel J. Corley, a circuit-riding minister. The first church building was erected in 1847. Under the leadership of the Rev. C. J. Bradley the church built a new sanctuary in 1859 at a site near downtown Paris.
During the pastorate (1880-1908) of Dr. Charles Manton the congregation erected a new sanctuary (1891) and experienced tremendous growth. Flags throughout the community were flown at half-mast on the day of Dr. Manton's funeral in recognition of his many civic contributions. The congregation officially changed its name to Central Presbyterian Church in 1912.
The 1891 sanctuary, destroyed in the devastating 1916 Paris fire, was replaced during the tenure of the Rev. L. C. Kirkes with this Gothic revival style sanctuary in 1917. Designed by Thomas Broad of the firm of Curtis, Broad, & Lightfoot, it features extensive stained glass by the Ford Brothers Glass Company in Minneapolis. Educational facilities have been added over the years.
The congregation, noted for its education
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994
Incise on front: Estate of Francenia Hicks
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8189.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 39.51′ N, 95° 33.266′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is on South Church Street, 0.2 miles north of East Sherman Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 South Church Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Paris (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert Cooke Buckner (about 400 feet away); Paris Fire Department (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Paris (approx. 0.2 miles away); Paris Public Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Paris Fire, 1916 (approx. 0.2 miles away); John James Culbertson (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 112 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 5, 2019.