Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Telegraph Road

 
 
Telegraph Road Marker image. Click for full size.
January 5, 2019
1. Telegraph Road Marker
Inscription.  The Fort Belvoir Military Railroad (FBMRR) was constructed in 1918 when Camp A.A. Humphreys was made a semi-permanent cantonment as the U.S. entered into World War 1. The two main objectives for FBMRR were to bring supplies and troops to camp for its rapid construction and war mobilization and to train engineer troops on the building of railroads, bridges, and other facilities essential to the U.S. war effort in France.

The 4.51-mile, standard gauge railroad was built largely by combat engineers, with some assistance by civilian workers and soldiers from other branches. From January to July of 1918 they laid track from the railhead junction near Newington to the center of the camp.

North of this location, near the railhead, was Newington Station. Dubbed Accotink Station for military purposes, this was the point of arrival and departure for thousands of soldiers beginning in 1918. The Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad was authorized to close the station in 1971. Though parts of FBMRR were eventually decommissioned, much of the main line remained in use until the last locomotive left the installation in 1993.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Erected 2018 by Fort Belvoir and the Federal Highway Administration.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesRailroads & StreetcarsWar, World I. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
 
Location. 38° 43.479′ N, 77° 10.946′ W. Marker is in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Telegraph Road (Virginia Route 611) and Fairfax County Parkway (Virginia Route 286), on the left when traveling west on Telegraph Road. Located immediately adjacent to the ramp from Fairfax County Parkway North to Telegraph Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Belvoir VA 22060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Air (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mount Air Historic Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newington (approx. 0.7 miles away); John J. Kingman Road Crossing (approx. 0.9 miles away); Old Telegraph Line (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pohick Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Pohick Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Old Telegraph Line (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Belvoir.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2019. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 12 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 5, 2019. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128252

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024