Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Boca Grande in Lee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The First Baptist Church of Boca Grande

 
 
The First Baptist Church of Boca Grande Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 1, 2018
1. The First Baptist Church of Boca Grande Marker
Inscription.  The First Baptist Church of Boca Grande is the oldest church building on Gasparilla Island and housed one of the islandís two oldest congregations. In the early 1900s, phosphate companies decided to use the port of Boca Grande as a primary shipping point. The Seaboard Airline Railroad laid track to the southernmost tip of the island, and soon the islandís population grew enough to support a ministry. In 1909, the First Baptist Church was organized. At first, services were held outdoors conducted by circuit riding preachers twice a month. Between 1911 and 1912, a building committee was organized. Construction of the church was funded by a loan from the Florida Southern Baptist Missions Board and by congregational donations. In 1915, the church, an example of balloon-frame Carpenter Gothic style architecture, was completed. The Seaboard railroad donated a locomotiveís bell for the church that is still in use today. In 1928, the building was enlarged to accommodate Sunday school classrooms, and in 1934, a parsonage was built as a residence for a full-time pastor. In 2009, the First Baptist Church celebrated its 100th anniversary and is listed
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2010 by The First Baptist Church of Boca Grande and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-704.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
 
Location. 26° 45.035′ N, 82° 15.777′ W. Marker is in Boca Grande, Florida, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street West and Gilchrist Avenue, on the right when traveling west on 4th Street West. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 421 4th Street West, Boca Grande FL 33921, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boca Grande United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Hole (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gasparilla Inn & Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Boca Grande Lighthouse (approx. 2.3 miles away); Placida Bunk House (approx. 12.7 miles away); Town of McCall (approx. 12.7 miles away); The Cookie House (approx. 12.9 miles away); Bass Biological Labs/Cookie House (approx. 13.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boca Grande.
 
Also see . . .  110th Anniversary of First Baptist Church of Boca Grande. (Submitted on January 6, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
The First Baptist Church of Boca Grande image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 1, 2018
2. The First Baptist Church of Boca Grande
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 6, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 6, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128323

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024