Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Georgia native William Hardin (1801-1839) had come to Liberty from Tennessee in 1825. During the years before the Texas Revolution, he served as Commissioner of Police and Alcalde of Liberty. Hardin was elected a delegate to the Convention of 1833 at San Felipe and later served as an election judge in Nacogdoches and as a primary judge in Liberty.
The Mexican prisoners stayed on Hardin's property near this site, which has come to be called Mexican Hill. Among the men were General Martin Perfecto de Cos and Ten. Coronel Pedro Delgado, who wrote an account of his time in Liberty. According to Delgado, the Mexicans were treated well and given the best care available during their stay,
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9677.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Texas Independence. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1836.
Location. 30° 3.406′ N, 94° 47.521′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on U.S. 90, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2315 US-90, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plaza de Mercado (approx. ¼ mile away); Tarver Abstract Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Commercial Corner (approx. ¼ mile away); Sam Houston in Liberty County (approx. ¼ mile away); Sam Houston's Law Office (approx. ¼ mile away); Plaza de Carcel y Casas de Correccion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Liberty County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Captain William M. Logan (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.