Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Trinity River

 
 
The Trinity River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 6, 2019
1. The Trinity River Marker
Inscription.  As the longest river with its drainage basin entirely within Texas, the Trinity River's watershed covers 18,000 square miles flowing 715 river miles through 37 Texas counties. Native Americans referred to the Trinity as the Arkikosa or Daycoa. La Salle called it the River of Canoes. In 1690, Alonso de León chose La Santísima Trinidad from which the name Trinity is derived. In 1831, Mexican land commissioner, Jose Francisco Madero, petitioned the legislature of Coahuila y Tejas for exclusive navigation rights. Before he could exercise his right, the Texas Revolution began.

Steamboats stimulated thriving commerce in southeast Texas. In 1838, the Branch T. Archer became the first to navigate the Trinity. A meat-packing plant was established in the early 1840s by the English firm Jones & Co. at Liberty Landing. Barrels of meat were processed and shipped to Galveston for transport to the West Indies. Stern-wheel and side-wheel steamers were propelled by current or poling, carrying passengers and cargo on as many as four decks.

During the Civil War, Alabama-Coushatta Indians transported military supplies
The Trinity River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 6, 2019
2. The Trinity River Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
and boats from Anderson County to Confederates in Liberty. After the war, costly rail freight kept river traffic competitive. A gala celebration in Dallas in 1893 celebrated the arrival of the H.A. Harvey, Jr., arriving from Galveston in 2 months and 10 days.

Supporters of navigation formed the Trinity River Canal Association in 1930 to lobby Congress for flood control and conservation. In 1955, the Trinity River Authority was created by the State to develop and maintain a comprehensive plan for water resources and services to the citizens in the Trinity River basin.
 
Erected 1969 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9690.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 30° 3.446′ N, 94° 48.967′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on U.S. 90, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located just east of the Trinity River bridge. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 422 US-90, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lallemand, Riguad and Other French Settlers (here, next to this marker); Site of Liberty's Ursuline Convent (approx. one mile away); Seven Pines (approx. one mile away); Plaza Iglesia Parroquial
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 1.1 miles away); James B. Woods (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ott Hotel (approx. 1.1 miles away); Plaza Constitucional (approx. 1.1 miles away); Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally placed in 1969 and was restored, with new text, in 2017.
 
Also see . . .  Trinity River - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128336

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 11, 2021