Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Casa Consistatorial (Courthouse Square)
With Madero's agreement colonists were given rights of local self-government, including the location of the seat of government. By a narrow vote, Smith's Plantation (now Liberty) was chosen over Moss Bluff. From the first (1831) courthouse - a small hewn log building 22 feet square - Madero reported the results of elections of officers to the chief of the Department of Bexar. Documented congratulations were received from Mexican officials in Bejar, Nava, Villa de Rosa, and Abasolo. The town was renamed Villa de la Santísima Trinidad de la Libertad and became known as Liberty.
Prominent Texans including Sam Houston practiced law in the Liberty courthouse. It has been the site of famous trials including a dual murder trial in which defendants were represented by David G. Burnet. Burnet's appeal of the verdict before the Convention of 1836 at
Erected 1968 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9642.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. 30° 3.573′ N, 94° 47.788′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Trinity Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located on the north end of the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1923 Sam Houston Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain William M. Logan (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty County (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Constitucional (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de Carcel y Casas de Correccion (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial Corner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tarver Abstract Company (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
More about this marker. Marker was originally placed in 1968 and restored, with new text, in 2017.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.