Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dayton in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dayton's Old School

 
 
Dayton's Old School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 6, 2019
1. Dayton's Old School Marker
Inscription.  Dayton began as part of the City of Liberty. The children who lived here were either educated at home, across the river in the main part of Liberty, or not at all. In 1849, a board of trustees formed a committee to establish a school for these children. A new school site was purchased from the Lowery estate for $90.00 and was bounded by Main, Houston, and Cleveland streets. The building was a two-room school with two teachers and 35 students ranging from 1st to 7th grades. It was open from the fall of 1900 to the spring of 1910. It was then sold to W. T. Jamison and Joe Entzminger who moved the building to its current location at 111 West Houston Street. In 1923, Walter and Ivy Jamison bought the building for their residence. Ivy served the Dayton ISD for 29 years until 1964. The family sold the historic school to the Dayton Historical Society in 2001.

The Dayton Historical Society saved the building from being condemned. Through fundraising they were able to purchase the building and restore it to its historic appearance. It now houses the Dayton Old School Museum, which was dedicated in April 2007. The original building was 40 ft
Dayton's Old School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 6, 2019
2. Dayton's Old School Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
x 36 ft and was designed in the Prairie style, built of Cypress wood with a pier and beam foundation. The high pitched roof gable was topped with a cupola for circulation. Dayton's Old School has been a landmark in this community for more than a century, standing in the same location since 1911. It has stood the test of time, surviving several major tornadoes and hurricanes. As it was 100 years ago, it is still a dynamic place of learning for Dayton's citizens.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2014

 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17880.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
 
Location. 30° 2.6′ N, 94° 53.301′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of West Houston Street and Hill Street, on the right when traveling east on West Houston Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 West Houston Street, Dayton TX 77535, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Methodist Church of Dayton (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Runaway Scrape (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Trinity River (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lallemand, Riguad and Other French Settlers
Dayton's Old School image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 6, 2019
3. Dayton's Old School
(approx. 4.4 miles away); Site of Liberty's Ursuline Convent (approx. 5.4 miles away); Seven Pines (approx. 5˝ miles away); Plaza Iglesia Parroquial (approx. 5˝ miles away); James B. Woods (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128338

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 11, 2021