Delaware in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Edwards Gymnasium / Home of High School Basketball Tournaments
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Sports. In addition, it is included in the Ohio, Delaware County Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 22, 1906.
Location. 40° 17.703′ N, 83° 4.064′ W. Marker is in Delaware, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Sandusky Street and Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Sandusky Street. Marker is in front of Edwards Gymnasium on the Ohio Wesleyan University campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware OH 43015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wesley Branch Rickey (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); University Hall and Gray Chapel (about 500 feet away); Elliott Hall (about 500 feet away); Eddy, Kroener, and Riesz Memorial (about 600 feet away); Cherry, Judge, Luckett Memorial (about 700 feet away); The Sulphur Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1897 Memorial Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the First Ohio State Football Game (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware.
Regarding Edwards Gymnasium / Home of High School Basketball Tournaments.
1. Delaware High Schools before consolidation!
The Delaware County bsketball tournament was held every year. The schools that participated before consolidation were: Galena, Sunbury, Brown Twp. (Kilbourne), Berlin Twp., Orange Twp. Hyatts, Powell, Bellpoint, Ostrander, Harlem Twp. (Center Village), Ashley, and Radnor.
The last county tournament included Big Walnut (Galena, Harlem and Sunbury), Olentangy (Berlin, Orange, Hyatts and Powell) Scioto Valley (Ostrander and Bellpoint), Elm Valley (Ashley and Brown) and Radnor.
— Submitted November 24, 2008.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,572 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.