Newton in Newton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
W. H. Ford Male & Female College
Formerly W. H. Ford Male & Female College (1889-1906). Named for Secretary of the Southwest College Company. President Joseph Syler and his wife were the teachers.
High-school level, as were many early Texas "colleges"; founded for the public good, by private donors. After the college closed, this heart pine building was for 2 years part of the Newton schools, then was moved to Courthouse Square.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11116.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 30° 50.876′ N, 93° 45.588′ W. Marker is in Newton, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on North Rusk Street (U.S. 190), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 North Rusk Street, Newton TX 75966, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newton County Pre-War Maneuvers (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Newton Newton County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); William Blewett (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newton Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Autrey-Williams House (approx. half a mile away); Woods Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.