Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Town of Montgomery

 
 
Town of Montgomery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
1. Town of Montgomery Marker
Inscription.  
Founded in July, 1837 by
W. W. Shepherd
Incorporated in 1848
Montgomery County was created
December 14, 1837
James Mitchell, Pleasant Gray,
William Robinson, Elijah Collard
Charles Barnett, Joseph L. Bennet
Dr. B. B. Goodrich, D. D. Dunham and
Henry Fanthrop, Commissioners,
Selected Montgomery as the County
Seat and it remained as such
until 1889

Important trade center
before the Civil War

 
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 7916.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1837.
 
Location. 30° 23.484′ N, 95° 41.782′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Liberty Street (Farm to Market Road 149) north of College Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in a small park surrounding the Montgomery Community Building
Town of Montgomery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
2. Town of Montgomery Marker
Marker is visible in the background of the photo. Marker visible in the foreground is Charles Bellinger Stewart.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(former courthouse grounds). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montgomery TX 77356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montgomery County Jail (a few steps from this marker); Montgomery County, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Bellinger Stewart (within shouting distance of this marker); The Montgomery Town Goat (within shouting distance of this marker); First State Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Davis Law Office (about 700 feet away); Montgomery Baptist Church Building (about 700 feet away); N. H. Davis Cottage (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
Also see . . .  Montgomery, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128594

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 28, 2022