Montgomery in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First State Bank
One of first state banks in Texas. Chartered Dec. 11, 1906, it began operations in a frame building on lot south of here. Present building was finished 1908 and is now oldest existing commercial building in this once-thriving trade center. As the town's only bank, it served small farmers while cotton was king in area. Safe was once stolen and the vault still has scars from a robbery. Bank was voluntarily liquidated in 1934.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7878.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is December 11, 1906.
Location. 30° 23.422′ N, 95° 41.804′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Liberty Street (Farm to Market Road 149), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 Liberty Street, Montgomery TX 77356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Bellinger Stewart (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Davis Law Office (about Montgomery Baptist Church Building (about 300 feet away); The Montgomery Town Goat (about 400 feet away); N. H. Davis Cottage (about 400 feet away); Town of Montgomery (about 400 feet away); Lake Creek Settlement (about 400 feet away); Site of Montgomery United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.