Montgomery in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
N. H. Davis Cottage
Home of Judge N. H. Davis and wife, Sarah E. White. Built 1851, from 1831 log house received as legal fee. Kitchen area attached 1880.
Texanna Snow's school here 1881-1891. J. F. Davis added south wing in 1895.
Still in family.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Given to Montgomery Hist. Soc. in memory of Margaret Eliz. Davis Cameron (1893-1979) by daughters M. D. Cameron and E. C. Adams-1984.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7873.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 30° 23.362′ N, 95° 41.786′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Liberty Street (Farm to Market Road 149), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the N. H. Davis Pioneer Complex and Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 Liberty Street, Montgomery TX 77356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lake Creek Settlement (here, next to this marker); Davis Law Office (a few Site of Montgomery United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montgomery Baptist Church Building (about 300 feet away); Methodist Parsonage (about 300 feet away); The Old Methodist Churchyard (about 300 feet away); First State Bank (about 400 feet away); John M. Wade (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.