Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lake Creek Settlement

 
 
Lake Creek Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
1. Lake Creek Settlement Marker
Inscription.  Long before the arrival of Stephen F. Austin's colonists, the Coushatta Indians traveled through the lands that would become the Lake Creek Settlement upon the Coushatta Trace, a trade road from Louisiana into Texas. Located in Austin's second colony in the Mexican state of Coahuila and Texas during the Texas colonial period, Lake Creek Settlement traces its origins to 1825.

On June 4, 1825, Stephen F. Austin signed a contract with the Mexican government to begin the introduction of five hundred families from the United States. In 1831, some of the families settled between the West Fork of the San Jacinto River and a stream called Lake Creek in today's Montgomery County. The Lake Creek Settlement is the earliest known Anglo American settlement in the county.

In 1835, William W. "W.W.” Shepperd, a colonist from North Carolina, purchased a tract in the northwesternmost corner of the John Corner League. Shepperd opened a store on the property, the first business in the area. He also operated a gin and stockyard and was the postmaster. In July 1837, Shepperd founded the town of Montgomery at the site of his store.

The
Lake Creek Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
2. Lake Creek Settlement Marker
Marker is located at the right of the photo. The marker visible in the middle of the photo is N. H. Davis Cottage.
Click or scan to see
this page online
area's proximity to Town Creek and available fresh water attracted settlers and provided for their crops and livestock. In addition, nearby popular trade routes aided in the community's growth, serving as a trade stop or meeting place. A number of Lake Creek settlers fought in the Texas Revolution, including John Marshall Wade, who manned one of the famous "Twin Sisters” cannons during the Battle of San Jacinto.
 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18408.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
 
Location. 30° 23.359′ N, 95° 41.787′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Liberty Street (Farm to Market Road 149), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the N. H. Davis Pioneer Complex and Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 Liberty Street, Montgomery TX 77356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. N. H. Davis Cottage (here, next to this marker); Davis Law Office (a few steps from this marker); Site of Montgomery United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Methodist Parsonage (about 300 feet away); Montgomery Baptist Church Building (about
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
300 feet away); The Old Methodist Churchyard (about 300 feet away); John M. Wade (about 400 feet away); First State Bank (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128602

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 16, 2021