Clarence in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
David Vantine opened a store
on this site in 1829. The
settlement was called Vantine's
Corners. When first Post Office
was established June 26, 1849
with Mr. Vantine as Post-Master,
the name was changed to
Clarence Centre. Present
spelling was officially
adopted August 2, 1894.
Erected 1965 by Clarence Center Community Council, Historical Society of the Town of Clarence.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is June 26, 1849.
Location. 43° 0.627′ N, 78° 38.224′ W. Marker is in Clarence, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Clarence Center Road and Goodrich Road, on the left when traveling east on Clarence Center Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clarence NY 14031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. J. Eschelman and Company Store (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Clarence Center (approx. 0.2 Clarence Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); In Memory of Our Comrades (approx. 2.9 miles away); In Grateful Memory (approx. 2.9 miles away); To Commemorate (approx. 2.9 miles away); This Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Goodrich-Landow Log Cabin (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarence.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.