Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Old Methodist Churchyard

 
 
The Old Methodist Churchyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
1. The Old Methodist Churchyard Marker
Inscription.  In Jan. 1839, the Rev. Isaac Strickland organized a Methodist Church whose members soon built a log meetinghouse on this site donated by founders of the town of Montgomery. The churchyard came into use for burials during the 1840s. When Pastor G. W. Rabb was dying in 1851, he requested burial beneath the altar of the frame church then being built to replace the log cabin. His grave and a monument commemorating pioneer circuit riders now (1976) mark the original Methodist Church site. The church and the nearby parsonage, which is said to have been the first Methodist parsonage built in Texas, were relocated in 1908. A tabernacle later erected beside the cemetery has also been demolished.

A stone in this cemetery commemorates a soldier of the American Revolution who helped settle this county and died here. Churchyard burials included veterans of the War of 1812, the Texas War for Independence, Mexican War, and Civil War, as well as many other pioneers, state and county officials, merchants, ministers, and physicians. In some of the unmarked graves are travelers who died here among strangers. Although a new cemetery opened in 1868, this
The Old Methodist Churchyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
2. The Old Methodist Churchyard Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
one was also used until no space remained.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7887.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1839.
 
Location. 30° 23.33′ N, 95° 41.842′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Pond Street north of Eva Street (State Highway 105), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 Pond Street, Montgomery TX 77356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Church Site and Memorial to Pioneer Circuit Riders (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Parsonage (within shouting distance of this marker); Reuben Jonathan Palmer (within shouting distance of this marker); John M. Wade (within shouting distance of this marker); William S. Taylor (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Montgomery United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery Baptist Church Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lake Creek Settlement (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
The Old Methodist Churchyard image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
3. The Old Methodist Churchyard
The Old Methodist Churchyard image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
4. The Old Methodist Churchyard
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128618

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 7, 2021