Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Plantersville in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Mary's Catholic Church

 
 
St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
1. St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  

The first recorded visit of a Catholic priest to Plantersville occurred in the summer of 1860. Infrequent worship services subsequently were held at the home of James Kelly Markey until the first church building was constructed in 1873.

An influx of Polish and German-Russian immigrants in the last quarter of the 19th century led to such growth in the congregation that Bishop Nicholas Gallagher of the Diocese of Galveston sent the Rev. Joseph Klein to serve as resident pastor in 1894. During Fr. Klein's pastorate, Cordelia Baker gave 10 acres of land to the diocese for the benefit of a German Catholic Church in Plantersville. A small building was completed and dedicated in 1894 under the name Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

After Fr. Klein's departure in 1907, the Rev. George Wilhelm became pastor, and St. Mary's divided into Polish and German congregations, with the Polish families founding St. Joseph's Church in Stoneham. The church building burned to the ground after being struck by lightning in 1917, and it was replaced the same year, under the leadership of the Rev. George Apel, with this Gothic Revival
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
structure. Stained glass windows reflect the German heritage of the congregation, while the lancet windows, buttresses and crenellated bell tower demonstrate the building's Gothic Revival architectural influences.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12792.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1917.
 
Location. 30° 22.126′ N, 95° 52.274′ W. Marker is near Plantersville, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is on St. Marys Drive (County Road 205) 0.1 miles east of Farm to Market Road 1774, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8227 County Road 205, Plantersville TX 77363, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blackberry Community (approx. one mile away); Plantersville Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Plantersville Baptist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Plantersville Baptist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Stoneham Methodist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Stoneham Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Andrew Jackson Montgomery (approx. 3.2 miles away); John Montgomery (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plantersville.
St. Mary's Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
2. St. Mary's Catholic Church
 
St. Mary's Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
3. St. Mary's Catholic Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128636

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024