Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saint Joseph on the Brandywine Church

 
 
Saint Joseph on the Brandywine Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., October 6, 2018
1. Saint Joseph on the Brandywine Church Marker
Inscription.  As early as 1813, Mass was celebrated in private homes throughout the area. St. Joseph Church was built in 1841 by a diverse community of Roman Catholic immigrants to meet the needs of the growing Catholic population. The nearby DuPont powder mills, where many parishioners worked, provided the stonemasons who built the walls of the church. When completed, the church was dedicated to St. Joseph, patron saint of workers. In 1848, the sanctuary was enlarged to its current size. The bell tower was added in 1878 and enclosed in the vestibule in 1941. This church is among the oldest serving Catholics in Delaware.
 
Erected 2016 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NCC-222.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
 
Location. 39° 46.323′ N, 75° 35.251′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Montchanin Road and Old
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Church Road, on the left when traveling north on Montchanin Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington DE 19807, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexis I. duPont Middle School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Brandywine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Henry Clay Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); du Pont Powder Mills (approx. half a mile away); Transmitting Power With Line Shafts and Gears (approx. 0.6 miles away); Brandywine River Powder Mills (approx. 0.6 miles away); Industrial Power (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site O: Power Plant (approx. 0.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This is not the same church as that described in the marker for Saint Joseph Church, Wilmington, DE 19801.
 
Saint Joseph on the Brandywine Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., January 20, 2019
2. Saint Joseph on the Brandywine Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2019, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 15, 2019, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.   2. submitted on January 20, 2019, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=128683

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024