La Casa Primera
In 1867 Francisco Palomares and wife Lugarda Alvarado moved into this home where they lived until 1882. His son, Frank J. Palomares, member of Ramona parlor #109 NSGW, grew up in this house.
Francisco, along with C. Burdick and P.C. Tonner formed the first water company which later became the Pomona Land and Water Company. Today, Pomona has a surplus of fresh artesian water throughout the valley thanks to Francisco.
In 1973 the Historical Society of Pomona Valley purchased this property for $85,000.
Erected 2016 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. La Casa Primera Dedication (here, next to this marker); Casa Alvarado (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pomona Assembly Center (approx. 0.8 miles away); Adobe de Palomares (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Home of Pomona College (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Haugh Residence (approx. 1.9 miles away); Lordsburg Townsite (approx. 2 miles away); La Casa de Carrion (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pomona.
Regarding La Casa Primera. The adobe and schoolhouse are open Sundays 2-5.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. — Adobe De Palomares, the family’s second home.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 131 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 20, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 5. submitted on November 8, 2020, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.