Estill Presbyterian Church
This church was founded in 1898 by residents of Estill and Lawtonville who were members of distant Presbyterian churches and desired to organize a congregation here. It held its first services in a school on Fourth St. the first permanent church, a frame building, was built here in 1909 on land donated by Sumpter Mills Clarke, Sr.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Temporary, or stated supply, pastors served here 1898-1955. Among the most notable was Dr. Paul Frederick Brown, who served here 1912-1923. Dr. Frank B. Estes became the first full-time minister in 1955. The church burned during services in 1934. This Classical Revival church, built 1934-37, opened in 1937 and was completed after World War II.
Erected 2014 by Congregation of Estill Presbyterian Church. (Marker Number 25-19.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 32° 45.345′ N, 81° 14.4′ W. Marker is in Estill, South Carolina, in Hampton County. Marker is on Clark Avenue, 0.1 miles south of 5th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Clark Street, Estill SC 29918, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.