Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Franklin in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Franklin

 
 
Old Franklin Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
1. Old Franklin Marker
Inscription.  After the Texas Revolution, Robertson County covered a vast area of 12.8 million acres from the Brazos River eastward to the Trinity River and northwest to the Cross Timbers. Situated at the southern edge of Robertson County, Franklin (later Old Franklin) served as the county seat of justice beginning in the 1830s. Due to loss or lack of record keeping, the plat of Old Franklin does not exist. The town had its share of businesses, however, including a livery stable, blacksmith, general store, saloons, and the first school in Robertson County.

Old Franklin also boasted several prominent residents. The first medical doctor of the town, George Washington Hill, served as a congressman for the Republic of Texas and Secretary of War for Sam Houston. Through a recommendation from his friend Hill, James Raymond of Old Franklin became Journal Clerk of the Republic House of Representatives and later Treasurer of the Republic and then State of Texas. A well-known statesman, lawyer and politician of the time, Robert McAlpin Williamson ("Three-legged Willie") presided over the first session of Robertson County's district level court in Old Franklin
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
during the month of October 1838.

When the county seat moved to nearby Morgan in 1879, residents ran into an issue while applying for a post office because a Morgan, Texas, already existed. Essentially a ghost town by this time, Franklin was renamed Old Franklin, and the town of Morgan became what is present-day Franklin. For almost a decade Old Franklin served as a major gateway to the area, providing settlers a stop for news, supplies and protection during their travels.
 
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18765.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1838.
 
Location. 31° 0.284′ N, 96° 30.997′ W. Marker is near Franklin, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is on U.S. 79, 2.4 miles south of Wheelock Street (Farm to Market Road 46), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TX 77856, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin (approx. 2.3 miles away); Robertson County Courthouse (approx. 2.3 miles away); Franklin Carnegie Library (approx. 2˝ miles away); Robertson County (approx. 3.7 miles away); New Baden (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Barton Home
Old Franklin Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
2. Old Franklin Marker
(approx. 9.1 miles away); Virginia Field Park (approx. 9.1 miles away); The Parish Carriage House (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Also see . . .  Old Franklin, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,346 times since then and 279 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129298

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024