Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Franklin

 
 
Franklin Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
1. Franklin Marker
Inscription.  This community was established in 1872 and named Morgan for a railroad official. Located on the right-of-way of the International Railway Company, the town contained a depot and three stores in its first year. By 1879, the town had 200 residents and voters transferred the county seat from Calvert to Morgan. The community applied for a post office in 1880. Another Texas post office was named Morgan, so the town name was changed to Franklin after the name of the original county seat. A stone courthouse, designed by R. E. Ruffini, was completed in 1882.

The town's first newspaper, the Franklin Weekly, was published by J. A. Keigewin. By 1885, Franklin had three hotels, three churches, and two gristmills. Mineral springs attracted visitors to the area for many years. A cemetery was formally established in 1880 at a site where several graves were already in existence. The community's first school building, a frame structure, burned in 1894 and another was erected. The First National Bank of Franklin was chartered in 1905; the First State Bank was established in 1913. A Carnegie Library was built and equipped with an auditorium. By the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1970s Franklin, an incorporated community, had a mayor-council form of city government.
 
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10924.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
 
Location. 31° 1.523′ N, 96° 29.163′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 79 and Alley Street, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 79. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TX 77856, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robertson County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Franklin Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robertson County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Franklin (approx. 2.3 miles away); New Baden (approx. 3.8 miles away); Wheelock (approx. 10.3 miles away); a different marker also named Wheelock (approx. 10.3 miles away); The Barton Home (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Also see . . .  Franklin, TX (Robertson County) - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 48 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129299

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024