Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First National Bank of Cameron

 
 
First National Bank of Cameron Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
1. First National Bank of Cameron Marker
Inscription.  Two banks operated in Cameron prior to the establishment of the First National Bank. The Buckholts Exchange Commission, a small frontier deposit office, faltered during the Civil War, and the Milam County Bank closed during the panic of 1895. On August 22, 1889, the First National Bank of Cameron opened its doors for business in a rented building, while construction commenced on a permanent bank structure at the corner of First Street and Houston Avenue. John M. Hefley and other businessmen realized the necessity of a new financial institution for the growing town of Cameron, and they began the bank with $50,000 capital. Hefley was elected as the bank’s first president, and continued to serve as a director and stockholder until his death in 1903.

The bank grew slowly at first, but record cotton prices and the discovery of oil in the county during the late 1910s and early 1920s helped the bank to develop. The bank temporarily relocated to the former post office building during construction of a newer, larger structure at the bank’s original site in 1921. Although the bank reorganized during the Great Depression, it remained open,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
unlike several other banks in Milam County. As a product of the reorganization, the bank was renamed First National Bank in Cameron.

In 2007, the bank’s name changed again to Classic Bank, to reflect the expansion of its holdings to several cities which already had First National Banks. Today, the institution that began as the First National Bank of Cameron continues to serve the citizens of its community.
 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16507.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is August 22, 1889.
 
Location. 30° 51.055′ N, 96° 58.644′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is at the intersection of North Houston Avenue and West 1st Street, on the right when traveling south on North Houston Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 North Houston Avenue, Cameron TX 76520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of Cameron (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (about 400 feet away); Milam County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); All Saints Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); Ben Milam (about 500 feet away); a
First National Bank of Cameron image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
2. First National Bank of Cameron
different marker also named Milam County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129325

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2024