Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Milam County

 
 
Milam County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
1. Milam County Marker
Inscription.  A part of Robertson's colony in 1834 and a part of the municipality of Viesca, 1835. Created in 1836 and named for Benjamin Rush Milam killed Dec. 5, 1835, in San Antonio.

When created, it contained one-sixth of the original land area of Texas. 54 Texas counties or parts thereof now occupy that territory.

Until 1840, settlers spent much time battling hostile Indians. On April 4, 1846, Cameron was authorized as county seat by Legislature. Milam County as it now exists was established in 1856.

Balanced livestock-crop farming economy.
 
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 7985.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 30° 52.66′ N, 96° 58.437′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on North Travis Avenue (U.S. 77), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
at or near this postal address: 3400 North Travis Avenue, Cameron TX 76520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. O.J. Thomas High School (approx. 1.6 miles away); The B.J. and Sue Dollar Baskin Home (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of First Home in Cameron (approx. 1.7 miles away); All Saints Episcopal Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Cameron (approx. 1.8 miles away); First National Bank of Cameron (approx. 1.9 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally placed in 1936 as part of the Texas Centennial celebrations. It was restored with new text in 1966.
 
Also see . . .  Milam County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
Milam County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
2. Milam County Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129328

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024