Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of First Home in Cameron

 
 
Site of First Home in Cameron Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
1. Site of First Home in Cameron Marker
Inscription.  

Boyhood home of L. S. "Sul" Ross (1838-1898), Texas Governor from 1887 to 1891. His father Shapley P. Ross, Indian agent and Ranger, built house after moving here about 1841; he chose this site because it had a good spring. L. S. Ross, who was a Confederate general, served as president of Texas A&M College after holding office as governor.

In 1890 this pavilion was erected to accommodate band concerts, meetings and rallies. It was the scene in 1892 of a landmark debate between two gubernatorial candidates: Gov. James S. Hogg and George Clark.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7947.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
 
Location. 30° 51.169′ N, 96° 58.425′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on North Lamar Avenue north of East 4th Street (U.S. 190), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in Cameron Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cameron TX 76520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker. The B.J. and Sue Dollar Baskin Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church of Cameron (approx. ¼ mile away); Milam County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Milam County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); All Saints Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First National Bank of Cameron (approx. ¼ mile away); Ben Milam (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
 
Also see . . .  Ross, Lawrence Sullivan [Sul] - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 10 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129329

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024