Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Marbury in Chilton County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Mountain Creek Post Office

c. 1906 – 1975

 
 
Mountain Creek Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, January 26, 2019
1. Mountain Creek Post Office Marker
Inscription.  This late nineteenth century building, originally Gray & Speer's store, was located less than a mile south near the South & North Railroad (later L&N and present day CSX). It was converted to a post office around 1906.

Veterans from the Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home would walk or ride in the Soldiers' Home mule-drawn surrey to the Mountain Creek post office almost every day.

The US Postal Service decommissioned this post office in December, 1975. The last postmaster, Mr. С.С. Kicker, Jr, donated the building to Confederate Memorial Park. The building was moved to this site in March, 1988.

Photo captions:
Middle top: Eps Culver, Mountain Creek mail carrier, next to his winter mail wagon, c. 1918
Middle bottom (left): Young ladies of Mountain Creek in front of Eps Culver's house
Middle bottom (right): Postmaster and Mrs. George Culver on the porch of the Mountain Creek Post Office, c. 1950. Mr. Culver had been postmaster since 1919.
Right top: Eps Culver, Mountain Creek mail carrier next to his summer mail wagon, c. 1918
Right bottom: Soldiers' Home mule-drawn
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
surrey in front of Soldiers' Home mule barn c. 1902

 
Erected by Confederate Memorial Park.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1988.
 
Location. 32° 43.131′ N, 86° 28.46′ W. Marker is near Marbury, Alabama, in Chilton County. Marker is on County Road 63, 0.6 miles north of State Route 143, on the left when traveling north. Located within Confederate Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 437 Co Rd 63, Marbury AL 36051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woven Wire Fence (within shouting distance of this marker); Steam Locomotive Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the E. L. More, Fox Maull, Lizzie Cameron, (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home (about 400 feet away); Alabama Forests (about 400 feet away); Mess Hall c. 1920-1929 (about 600 feet away); Memorial Tree (about 600 feet away); Memorial Hall (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marbury.
 
Former Mountain Creek Post Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, January 26, 2019
2. Former Mountain Creek Post Office
Wide area view of the former Mountain Creek Post Office and marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, January 26, 2019
3. Wide area view of the former Mountain Creek Post Office and marker
Nearby entrance gate to the Confederate Memorial Park. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, January 26, 2019
4. Nearby entrance gate to the Confederate Memorial Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 30, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129333

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 3, 2023