Near Marbury in Chilton County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Steam Locomotive Bell
It was donated to Confederate Park by Alf Miller Israel Thompson in memory of Pvt. L. Israel, Co E, 19th Alabama Infantry who died during the war.
The Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home used a bell to alert the veterans to various events on site:
"... At ten o'clock Captain Simpson ordered the bell sounded, summoning the people..."
Main photo: Frisco Railroad new steam locomotive No. 731, October 1905. Note the brass bell behind the smokestack. Frisco engine No. 734 was almost identical to this locomotive
Bottom right: Captain James Morris Simpson Soldiers' Home Commandant, 1906-1916
Erected by Confederate Memorial Park.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
Location. 32° 43.143′ N, 86° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 437 Co Rd 63, Marbury AL 36051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woven Wire Fence (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Mountain Creek Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the E. L. More, Fox Maull, Lizzie Cameron, (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial Tree (about 400 feet away); Memorial Hall (about 500 feet away); Monument to Jefferson Manly Falkner (about 500 feet away); Alabama Forests (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 138 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.