Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Milam County Courthouse
Austin architects Jacob Larmour and Arthur O. Watson designed this renaissance revival style courthouse, with the cornerstone laid by the local Masonic Lodge on July 4, 1891. The first floor included the county courtroom and offices for county officials, while a district courtroom occupied the second and third stories. Identical north and south facades are five-part compositions, while the east and west are three-bay designs. Each of the four fronts has a projecting center pavilion enhanced by a portico and triangular pediment. A mansard roof and central clock tower top an exterior of arched windows, cut stone pilasters and quarry-faced ashlar limestone with fine detailing.
County commissioners accepted the building as complete in April 1892, although furnishings and
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1891.
Location. 30° 50.986′ N, 96° 58.562′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and South Fannin Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Marker is located at the southeast corner of the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 South Fannin Avenue, Cameron TX 76520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Ben Milam (within Milam County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Milam County Jail of 1895 (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank of Cameron (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church of Cameron (approx. 0.2 miles away); All Saints Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
More about this marker. Although this marker was erected by the Texas Historical Commission, there is no record of it in the Commission's Atlas.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 184 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?