Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The City of Orange

 
 
The City of Orange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 2, 2019
1. The City of Orange Marker
Inscription.  The first known settlers in what is now the City of Orange were John and Elizabeth Harmon, who arrived in 1828 with their three children. Known first as Green's Bluff, the small farming community that developed along a bend in the Sabine River was selected as the seat of government when Orange County was created in 1852. The town was called Madison from 1852 until 1858, when the name Orange was adopted.

The early Orange economy was based on the lumber and shipbuilding industries. Led by prominent pioneer area lumbermen and aided by the advent of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad in 1876, Orange was recognized as the leader in East Texas sawmill activity by the 1880s. The deep water port and the availability of lumber made the city an ideal location for the shipbuilding industry, which reached its highest production levels during World Wars I and II.

For many years the City of Orange has maintained a full range of services for its citizens. Public schools have operated since the 1880s and electricity was instituted in 1890. Orange's shipbuilding and petrochemical industries continue to make the city a leading commercial
The City of Orange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 2, 2019
2. The City of Orange Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
center in southeast Texas.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11504.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
 
Location. 30° 5.579′ N, 93° 44.221′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on West Green Avenue (Business U.S. 90), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in front of the Orange City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 803 Green Avenue, Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leonard Frederick Benckenstein (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of Rotary International (about 300 feet away); Henry Jacob Lutcher (about 300 feet away); Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark (about 300 feet away); Lutcher Memorial Church Building (about 400 feet away); Ever Changing Landscapes (about 500 feet away); W.H. Stark House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
 
Also see . . .  Orange, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on February 6, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 6, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=129621

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 5, 2021