Gretna in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Founded in 1836 by Nicholas Noel Destrehan, Mechanickham was originally part of the Spanish land grant to the Ursuline nuns in 1790. It was incorporated with the villages of Gretna and McDonoghville in 1913 into the City of Gretna, the seat of Jefferson Parish's government since 1884.
Erected 2004 by City of Gretna.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 55.098′ N, 90° 3.978′ W. Marker is in Gretna, Louisiana, in Jefferson Parish. Marker can be reached from First Street near Huey P. Long Boulevard. Located on the Mississippi River Trail, on top of levee, at Gretna Ferry Landing. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gretna LA 70053, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Royal Cyril Brooks (within shouting distance of this marker); Phoenix Iron Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Stumpf's Magic Hoodoo (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gretna City Hall Centennial Marker (about 800 feet away); Gretna (approx. 0.2 miles away); Derbigny Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); David Crockett Firehall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gretna.
More about this marker. Located on the Mississippi River Trail, a levee top bicycle/walking trail. NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES. This marker is at the Gretna Ferry Landing/Ferry Landing Ampitheater. Easy access to levee top is at terminus of Huey P. Long Blvd. with large easy stairs and ramps.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 8, 2019.