Newark in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Washington Passed Beneath this Tower
“There went with him a band of men whose hearts God had touched.” 1. Samuel 10:26.
This tablet placed here by
The New Jersey Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
on its twenty-fifth anniversary
commemorating the fact
March 7, 1914
Erected 1914 by New Jersey Society of the Sons of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Sons of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 7, 1914.
Location. 40° 44.423′ N, 74° 10.156′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark NJ 07104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Constitution of the Province of New Jersey (here, next to this marker); Historic Site (here, next to this marker); Trinity Church (here, next to this marker); Griffith Piano Company (a few steps from this marker); Training Place (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Philip Kearny (about 400 feet away); Historic Plane Tree (about 400 feet away); The Wars of America (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Also see . . . Washington's Retreat Through Jersey. (Submitted on October 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 929 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.