Following the Town of Warrensburg's establishment in 1813, development of all types appeared along the shoreline of the Schroon River. In this particular section of the river, throughout the 19th Century and first half of the 20th Century industrial activity spread, bringing with it additional commercial and residential development.
On this land once stood a structure, built by John Cole, which was once used as a blacksmith shop and later an apartment building and a second hand furniture store known locally as "Prouty's Place". The original small stone house was one of Warrensburg's oldest landmarks originally constructed in the the early 1860's. Over the years a series of shed-like additions were added to the original stone building, resulting in a building that rambled for more than 100 feet along the river's edge. A portion of the original stone foundation can still be seen
Remnants of Warrensburg's past can even be observed in the river. The stone pilings in the river are the remains of the cribs that used to occupy the river. They were built on land and then placed in the river, weighed down by the stones, which are the only parts left today. The cribs were usually constructed of chestnut, a durable wood, and available back in the early 1800's. Large logs were attached by chains between cribs to create holding areas for the logs coming down the river. The sawmill was just beyond the Osborne Bridge, to your right.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° 29.471′ N, 73° 46.159′ W. Marker is in Warrensburg, New York, in Warren County. Marker is on Water Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is just past the bridge over the Schroon River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Warrensburg NY 12885, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trolley Power (approx. half a mile away); Floyd Bennett Memorial
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 18, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.