Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Greenville in Butler County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Our Confederate Dead Monument

 
 
Our Confederate Dead Monument image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 17, 2019
1. Our Confederate Dead Monument
Inscription.  
North side:
Our Confederate Dead

West side:
Erected 1903 by the The Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.


South side:
To the memory of Butler CO's Confederate Soldiers.


East side:
Dead, but his spirit breathes;
Dead, but his heart is ours;
Dead, but his sunny and sad land wreathes
his crown with tears for flowers.
Father Ryan

 
Erected 1903 by The Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
 
Topics and series. This memorial monument is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list.
 
Location. 31° 49.745′ N, 86° 37.381′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Alabama, in Butler County. Memorial is on Adams Street west of South Park Street, on the right when traveling west. Located in Confederate
Our Confederate Dead Monument (North) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 17, 2019
2. Our Confederate Dead Monument (North)
Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Adams Street, Greenville AL 36037, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Confederate Dead (here, next to this marker); Confederate Park/Greenville City Hall-Site of Public School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Camellia City / Greenville (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Captain William Butler (about 300 feet away); Pioneer Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Site of Confederate Hospital (about 500 feet away); West Commerce Street Historic District/Historic Greenville Depot (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
 
More about this monument. Confederate Park was established in 1902, in front of the First Methodist Church, on one acre of land donated by the church to the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). The following year the UDC commissioned this 16-foot marble statue of a Confederate soldier on a pedestal.
 
Our Confederate Dead Monument (West) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 17, 2019
3. Our Confederate Dead Monument (West)
Our Confederate Dead Monument (South) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 17, 2019
4. Our Confederate Dead Monument (South)
Our Confederate Dead Monument (East) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 17, 2019
5. Our Confederate Dead Monument (East)
Our Confederate Dead Monument in Confederate Park. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 17, 2019
6. Our Confederate Dead Monument in Confederate Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 19, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 1, 2021