Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home

 
 
R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 3, 2008
1. R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home Marker
Inscription.  Completed in 1886, this was the home and place of business of Theodore F. Armstrong, a prominent local merchant and civic leader. Reflecting the growing prosperity of the community and its residents, this hybrid of Queen Anne and Gothic architecture is a fine example of the splendor and flamboyance of the Victorian ear. Active in community affairs, Mr. Armstrong served as President of the Newark City Council, and as a member of the State House of Representatives. In 1888 he was appointed Inspector-General of the Delaware National Guard by Governor Benjamin Biggs.

In 1916 this property was sold to Robert T. Jones, Sr. A local funeral director, Mr. Jones had previously conducted business on Main Street at the present-day location of the University of Delaware's Harter Hall. After relocating, Mr. Jones renovated the attached storeroom so that it could be used for holding funeral services. He was succeeded in business by his son, Robert T. Jones, Jr. In 1979 Mr. Jones was joined by Mr. Robert T. Foard, Jr. The property was purchased by Mr. Foard in 1998. R.T. Foard and Jones is the oldest funeral business in continuous operation in Newark.
R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 3, 2008
2. R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home

 
Erected 2001 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-116.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
 
Location. 39° 41.006′ N, 75° 45.43′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on W. Main Street (Delaware Route 273), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 W Main Street, Newark DE 19711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Deer Park Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John A. Munroe ('36 B.A., '41 M.A.) (about 800 feet away); Pride of Delaware Lodge #349 IBPOEW (about 800 feet away); New London Road Community (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John African Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Raub Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Evans House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old College (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,731 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on February 21, 2019, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 1, 2021