Hondo in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 12, 1848
Organized August 7, 1848
Named for the river
which traverses the county
County Seat, Castroville,
Primarily a farming
and ranching area
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 16070.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 12, 1848.
Location. 29° 20.617′ N, 99° 8.014′ W. Marker is in Hondo, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue E (Farm to Market Road 462) and 23rd Street, on the right when traveling south on Avenue E. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2304 Avenue E, Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint John The Evangelist Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fohn-Bless Store (approx. half a mile away); Leinweber Building (approx. Hondo Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hondo (approx. 0.6 miles away); Medina County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Medina County Jail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hondo.
Also see . . . Medina County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.