Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Würzburg, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

Hof "Zum Stachel" / The Mace Inn

 
 
Hof "Zum Stachel" / The Mace Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 24, 2018
1. Hof "Zum Stachel" / The Mace Inn Marker
Inscription.  
Romanisches Doppeltor (um 1200)
Heute noch erhaltene Substanz aus der Staufferzeit.

Als "hintere Gressenhof" erstmals im Würzburger Lehenbuch schriftlich erwähnt um 1310.

Um 1410 wird der Gressenhof zum "Viertelhof".
Steuern und Abgaben wurden hier entrichtet und umgesetzt.
Als Gasthof seit 1413 archivalisch belegt.
Im Jahre 1413 kaufen der Metzger Hanns Rehlein u. seine Ehefrau und Wirtin Margarethe das Answesen fuer 200 rhein. Gulden.

Im Bauernkrieg 1525 Treffpunkt der rebellierenden Bürgern und Bauern.
Der Morgenstern (Stachel) wird zum hinweis.

1676 Vollendung des Umbaus von Haus und Hof durch die Patrizierfamilie Hahn im Stil der Spätrenaissance

Am 16. Maerz 1945 Zerstörung durch Brandbomben.

Nach dem 2. Weltkrieg wiederaufbau nach alten Bildern u. aus der Errinerung durch die Familie Hochrein.

-

English translation:

Romanesque double-doors (circa 1200), still has character from the Stauffer era. (The Stauffers were a German medieval dynasty.)

First known written mention was in 1310 in the Wuerzburg "Fief book" as the "rear Gressen inn".

In 1410 became the "District Inn". Taxes and duties were paid and implemented here. Use as a guest inn in 1413 documented by archives. In 1413 it was bought for 200 Rhenish Gulden by the

Hof "Zum Stachel" / The Mace Inn Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 24, 2018
2. Hof "Zum Stachel" / The Mace Inn Marker - wide view
Click or scan to see
this page online
butcher Hanns Rehlein and his wife, the innkeeper, Margarethe.

In the Peasants' Revolt of 1525 it was a meeting place for the rebelling citizens and peasants. The "morning star" (mace) becomes the symbol for the inn.

In 1676 a renovation in the late Renaissance style was completed by the patrician Hahn family.

Destroyed on March 16, 1945, by firebombs.

Rebuilt after the Second World War according to old photographs as well as the memories of the Hochrein Family.

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1310.
 
Location. 49° 47.687′ N, 9° 55.698′ E. Marker is in Würzburg, Bavaria. Marker is at the intersection of Gressengasse and Marktgasse, on the left when traveling north on Gressengasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Gressengasse 1, Würzburg, Bavaria 97070, Germany. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hof Castell (within shouting distance of this marker); Emy Roeder (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Lower Main Mill (about 180 meters away); Old Cranes (about 210 meters away); Der Kreuzgang des Neumuensterstiftes / The Cloister of the Neumuenster Seminary (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Augustiner Kirche / Church of St. Augustine (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Schönbornkapelle / Schönborn Chapel (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Hof Guttenberg / St. Gallus House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Würzburg.
 
Also see . . .  Zum Stachel (Wikipedia). "Zum Stachel is one of the oldest German

Hof "Zum Stachel" / The Mace Inn and Marker - wider view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 24, 2018
3. Hof "Zum Stachel" / The Mace Inn and Marker - wider view
inns located in Würzburg, Franconia, Bavaria. In 1413 the butcher Hanns Rehlein and his wife and landlady Margarete bought the "Gressenhof" for 200 guldens and founded a gastronomic tradition." (Submitted on February 23, 2019.) 
 
A "morning star" hangs from second-story corner of the building. image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 24, 2018
4. A "morning star" hangs from second-story corner of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 22, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on February 22, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   2, 3, 4. submitted on February 23, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=130204

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 10, 2021